I began playing trumpet in grade school, under the tutelage of my long-time teacher and mentor—Tom Dumas. In high school, I was selected as lead trumpet for the Massachusetts Northeast District Jazz Band, under the direction of Jazz legend Herb Pomeroy, and was subsequently chosen for the MA All-State Jazz Group. I then went on to attend the Berklee College of Music, earning a bachelor of music in music education. While in college I had the privilege of studying under such notable trumpet players as Wayne Naus, Lin Biviano, Tiger Okoshi and Jeff Stout.
After college, I spent 4 years touring with original funk group, Rippopotamus, a group that has shared the stage with national acts such as Queen Latifah, Phish, Fishbone, De La Soul, and the Beastie Boys. Rippopotamus released five albums, wrote and performed the theme song for MTV's show, Singled Out, and were a featured act at the Montreal Jazz Festival.
• Lin Biviano (lead trumpet w/ Tony Bennett, Chase, Count Basie, Jimmy Dorsey, Ella Fitzgerald, Maynard Ferguson, Woody Herman, Harry James, Stan Kenton, Glenn Miller, Buddy Rich, Frank Sinatra, Mel Torme, Sarah Vaughan and Lawrence Welk)
• Tiger Okoshi (trumpet w/ Gary Burton, Dave Grusin, Dave Liebman, and Pat Metheny)
• Jeff Stout (former soloist with Buddy Rich Orchestra and appearances with Budd Johnson, Al Cohn, Buddy Tate, Mel Torme, and Lionel Hampton)
• Wayne Naus (lead trumpet w/ Buddy Rich and Maynard Ferguson)
• Roger Ingram (lead trumpet w/ Frank Sinatra, Harry Connick Jr., Ray Charles, Wynton Marsalis and Arturo Sandoval)